Phrasal verbs English Grammar ielts exam
These are combinations of verbs and prepositions where in individual meanings of the contributing verb and the particle totally different from the meaning of the phrase are so formed. The same verb used when in combination with different particle (prepositions) would have different meanings and would need to be used in opt contexts.
|Usage in a sentence|
|1||Put||In||Contribute||She put in her best effort|
|2||Put||Away||Keep aside||They put away their books after doing their home work.|
|3||Put||On||Wear||You could put on your pink address.|
|We tried to set the those right|
|5||Set||Off||Go away||We set off on a mountaineering expedition|
Phrasal verbs are very often have an idiomatic meaning. Phrasal verbs are based on
monosyllabic roots of German origin belonging to the following types.
Motion – bring, carry etc.
Rest – sit, stand etc.
Affect – cut, kick, scrape etc.
Give – give, get, have etc.
Making – put, make, let etc.
- I was so hungry, I could eat a mango.
- She is older than the hills.
- I could sleep for a year. I was so tired.
Choose the correct phrase and fill in the blanks;-
- She ___________ tuberculosis (recovered by/ recovered from).
- He ____________the term of the contract finally (agreed to / agreed of).
- What time does Preetham ____________from work? (get back / get down)
- The tires had ____________ (worn on / worn out)?
- He will ____________my house work (helps me up / help me with).
- He could not __________Spanish (make in / make out).
- He ____________bad habits (give in / give up).
- The sweets were _____________at the end of the program (given away / given out).
- He was _____________with great care (brought on / brought up).
- The car __________in the middle of the journey (broke up / broke down).
- I left my mobile phone on the train, luckily, I __________from a passenger. (Got it with / got it back.)
- Aero plane ____________ on the right time (took on / took off).
- When teacher entered the class, all the students __________ (stood on / stood up).
- The Head master ______________peon (called for / called off).
- He __________the tree (fell from / fell off).
- The ship __________storm (ran into / ran unto).
- She is _____________English (good in / good at).
- They are _______________smokes (afraid of / afraid off).
- He is ______movies (fond to / fond of).
- Cricket team is ___________eleven players (consisted with / consisted of).
1. Recovered from.
2. Agreed to.
3. Get back.
4. Worn out
5. Help me with.
6. Make out.
7. Give up.
8. Given away.
9. Brought up.
10. Broke down.
11. Got it back
12. Took off.
13. Stood up.
14. Called for.
15. Fell off.
16. Ran into.
17. Good at.
18. Afraid of.
19. Fond of.
20. Consisted of.
Phrasal verbs English Grammar ielts exam Phrasal verbs English Grammar ielts exam Phrasal verbs English Grammar ielts exam Phrasal verbs English Grammar ielts exam Phrasal verbs English Grammar ielts exam Phrasal verbs English Grammar ielts exam Phrasal verbs English Grammar ielts exam Phrasal verbs English Grammar ielts exam
- 1 Phrasal verbs English Grammar ielts exam
- 2 Key answers 1. Recovered from. 2. Agreed to. 3. Get back. 4. Worn out 5. Help me with. 6. Make out. 7. Give up. 8. Given away. 9. Brought up. 10. Broke down.
- 3 11. Got it back
- 4 12. Took off.
- 5 13. Stood up.
- 6 14. Called for.
- 7 15. Fell off.
- 8 16. Ran into.
- 9 17. Good at.
- 10 18. Afraid of.
- 11 19. Fond of.
- 12 20. Consisted of.